Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Gettin' ready for school - all of us, that is.

I am still overwhelmed at the busy-ness of August and my inability to fit in a "regular" practice routine.  I've been doing lots of travel, and using the car/bus/airplane time to do mental practice, but brother my chops are in rough shape!  Can't wait for this latest, and last, trip to be completed so I can resume feeling like a Real Musician.

Meanwhile, this email came to me recently and I wanted to share it with all of you: a series of professional development webinars that Polyphonic hosts throughout the year.  They are FREE!  and I've participated as a viewer several times in the past.  My main interest has been in hearing how young graduates from music schools are carving their own paths in the new classical music scene (you know, post 9/11 economic bust, new anti-intelligence culture, etc.).

But the very first one they are offering is the one I would most like to direct your attention to.  It's with Don Greene, my hero!, who coaches athletes, military and now musicians in achieving optimal performances.  He's the one who set me on the path of mental practice.  It's September 16 at 8pm Eastern time, and they usually last just under an hour.  Once you register, they tell you all the technical details of how to log on and participate.  (it's easy, trust me)  There is usually a Q and A at the end that is moderated - you type your questions to the presenter and the moderator chooses which ones to pass along.

I highly recommend these free webinars.  We're all in it for the long haul, the atmosphere for live performance is changing so rapidly, and there is sooooo much to know and learn.  Take advantage of tools like these and keep yourself "in school" and open to new ideas.

Happy practicing!
Gaelen

No comments:

Post a Comment