Monday, September 24, 2012

working through the possibilities

I posted today on my facebook page about thinking of alternate fingerings when it seems like you are working too hard for the orchestra part (or any music you are working on).  There are lots of factors to consider WHY your fingering might not be suitable - tempo and timbre are the two that jump to mind.

To help my students think about options, I suggest they play their scales many different ways.  We don't want to approach notes as "an A is always first finger, first position".  Why does it have to only be in one place?  Why not explore the end of the neck on the D string, or the A octave harmonic on the A string?  So, I'm going to attach a link to a simple sheet explaining many different ways you could play a D scale in one octave.  Once you've played through that sheet, I think you'll see the variety of ways you could approach your scales, and (ergo) also your orchestra part.

The scale sheet is here!

happy practicing!
Gaelen

No comments:

Post a Comment