Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Look in the mirror

Good morning!

I was at the gym early today after taking my daughter to her new school, and noticed that I rarely look in the mirror at the gym.  Why?  I guess I think I can feel my form and don't need to look?  Also, I'm just a bit put off by people who seem to be staring at themselves the whole time they work out.

So what does this have to do with bass playing?  Well, I started thinking about the metaphor of "looking in the mirror" - really examining yourself (or in this case, your playing).  It takes more than a mirror, since our art is sound, not just visual, though you certainly can learn a lot from watching yourself play.  The questions is: are you looking?

I started my private studio lessons again last night, and have a few new faces joining us in the Left Shoe Bass Studio this year.  I hadn't mentioned in any of my emails or phone calls that I use a video service in my lessons.  I just put the camera on, and upload at the end of their lesson.  What I failed to anticipate was the reaction some of them had when they saw the camera!  By and large they are good at settling down, but I had to ask one of them what he thought about the video idea.  "It's just....I don't know if I really want to see what I'm doing!" he said to me, rather exasperated.

Dude, I get it.  Life is a lot more comfortable when I go around with blinders on, too.  But, you all came to me for help in improving, and watching yourself play, and seeing the change that happens during your lesson can be a wonderfully positive reinforcement for the practice you do all week long.  And the support of the changes is what I'm after by using video in lessons.  I suspect my students think they will need to criticize themselves by watching these videos, but really I'm interested in getting them to think analytically, and to appreciate the growth that happens during a lesson, and over the course of months of lessons.

So, I think I should really be looking in the mirror at the gym, as well.  Not to criticize, but to support the changes I've already made (very proud of my triceps these days, honestly), and the continue the work I do there.  And yes, I do watch and listen to myself practice, too.

Happy practicing!
Gaelen

No comments:

Post a Comment