Friday, January 16, 2015

Repertoire: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

It's winter and I'm suddenly abandoning my usual "summer thinking" (daydreaming about Eastman@Keuka, which I am organizing for this summer) and catapulting to NEXT winter's NYSSMA conference here in Rochester.  And what double bass fun I can unleash on our teachers...mwahahaha!

So here's what I've come up for my next session in December, yes 11 months from now.  Deadlines are always so far in advance, as most of you know, so I've been reviewing the comment cards teachers returned from my last session and pondering how I can meet their needs at the next one.  The overwhelming notion I heard was: repertoire!  For young ones, for intermediates, for my advanced kids!

Ok - this is going to be a lot of work to pull together, but I *think* I can do this, with a little help from my Nazareth College bass studio.  Below is the proposal I sent in.  Please feel free to write me your suggestions on what you'd like to see presented, or if there are specific questions you'd like answers to about teaching the double bass.


In the past two years, I've given sessions on bow technique (2013) and left hand technique (2014), and had a ton of fun presenting them alongside my pre-college students.  Seems only right that I let the college kids get in on the action now.

That's all the news for today!  Happy practicing!

Gaelen

No comments:

Post a Comment