Sunday, December 7, 2014

NYSSMA 2014 Winter Conference presentation

My dear bass friends,

I just finished giving my second presentation to the NYSSMA conference attendees. Since last year's topic was right hand, his year I spoke about left hand technique and development.  What a great crowd of teachers and players!  For those of you who couldn't join us , or who want to follow up with me, I'm going to give all the handouts below.



click here to grab them from Google docs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2u-DJW4jF15UjZrODVYNjlQSHM/view?usp=sharing

Please give credit if you are going to use them for any publications, but otherwise just grab them and start working with your students.

I'm incredibly happy three of my students got up early to come downtown and help me out (you really should have seen how professional they all were!) - Jill Alexander (5th grade), Mabel Zawacki (7th grade) and Sarah Wager (10th grade).  They were my role models and did a great job trying out some of the exercises we talked about, and they played a few of the solos that are mentioned in those sheets but were not included online.  Most of my examples come from Progressive Repertoire volumes 1 and 2, and the Essential Elements series.  I chose Essential Elements because I see that book being used the most frequently in NY state.

I'm happy to come work with your bass students at your school, so please feel free to contact me about that.  I'm also happy to try skype-ing with a group class if the distance from Rochester is far.  And - save the date! - I'll be hosting the Rochester Bass Retreat in mid-August 2015 for teachers and players of all levels.  This year will be 3 days of fun including a track for pedagogy (with in-service credit available), new jazz and classical teachers coming in to work with us, and large bass ensemble where we'll all (yes, even you teachers) work on preparing a couple of works for last recital of the retreat.

Meantime, happy practicing, as always!
Gaelen

No comments:

Post a Comment