Friday, July 4, 2014

Next Level Journal for bass and cello - a free online resource

Happy Fourth of July to all my bass friends!

I'm trying to conserve a little energy here in the middle of the day, post-taking daughter to the pool to swim, and pre-playing a late night show for the city of Rochester.  You know, noodling on the computer when....

BAM - there it is - Next Level Journals has their latest issue out and I want very much to call your attention to this great resource.  First - it's free!  Yes, you have to register with the site, but I have been using this for about two years now, ever since it launched, and they have not sold my email address or hit me with even one spam-ish email or advert.



So, what is it?  Well, they feature two magazines, in magazine format when you read it online, which is a little strange for an old fart like me, to have to click a page turn rather than scroll down the page.  But, whatever.  One is for cello, one is for bass.  Because we all know (say it with me) that a bass is NOT a cello (or a violin for that matter).  They interview great players, in all genres, and have deep conversations about practicing, or performing, or what making music means to them.  There is a bit of advertising within the magazine, but it's sustaining them and keeping it free for the rest of us to use.

Jordan Morton is featured this time, along with her most recent teacher, Nicholas Walker.  I met Jordan about two years ago when I was lucky enough to give a masterclass at Ithaca College for Nick Walker's students.  Jordan was one of the four students Colin Corner (our principal bass here in the Rochester Philharmonic) and I worked with that afternoon, and she left a really big impression on me.  I could easily see that she was a dedicated artist and a lifelong student - qualities that I so admire in great musicians.

Head on over to Ranaan Meyer's magazines - Next Level Journals at:
https://2caec3.campgn3.com/View-Next-Level-Bassists-Left-Hand-Issue

I think it will fill you with plenty of practical practice advice for our great instrument.

Gaelen

No comments:

Post a Comment