Saturday, February 23, 2013

The intention in practice

I just got home from a lovely 6 days away visiting family, without a bass.  So I had to start right away getting my chops back together for the upcoming concerts next week.  What a pain!  I am already so out of shape, it's just depressing.  (know how this feels?  I bet most of you do.  It only takes a couple days to start losing the very fine coordination.  It also only takes a little while to regain them.)

While I was away, I took a couple of yoga classes with my step-mother, and her yoga teacher had something she did at the start of every class that maybe every yoga teacher does... but this time I really heard it.  She would talk about listening to where you are, and thinking about one thing to dedicate your practice to.  Giving the practice intention.  My back was sore from sleeping on so many different futons this week, that that was my simple intention - to allow my back to stretch and lengthen and (hopefully) feel more flexible.  Simple, not too metaphysical.

Also, while I was away, I was reading a book called "Serving with Grace" about bringing spirituality into leadership/committee work at your church.  And this too calls to us to bring intention to our actions.  To place the needs of the group, the direction of the church, the process above the need to get stuff done.

So, what does this have to do with our practice?  I was thinking about this today when I picked up the bass for the first time in six days, that I needed to honor just sticking to basics today.  That the process of recovering my ability was enough.  I don't need to berate myself for having iffy tone today, just to listen and think about what I'm doing.  Check in with my body about posture, breath, open joints, and to be present in the process of practicing. 

It's tough, I won't lie. I very quickly devolve into "ugh that shift is still flat" and have to remind myself to get back to the simple aspects of practice.  One layer at a time (I think I already posted about that - making multiple passes through a passage, each time with a different focus, or intention, to keep yourself from getting overwhelmed with too many issues to fix).  I already feel that practice has an inherently spiritual quality to it, almost meditative.  But to take a moment and give intention to the work helps to keep perspective on what you are doing.

Happy practicing!
Gaelen

No comments:

Post a Comment